Successful xenotransfusion from a domestic dog (Canis familiaris) to an Andean fox (Lycalopex culpaeus)
An Andean fox was transferred to the Wildlife Hospital of the Universidad San Francisco de Quito for evaluation of
injuries caused by a run over. Clinical signs of hypovolemic shock were detected. Radiographies showed multiple pelvic
fractures and free fluid in retroperitoneal cavity. The presumptive diagnosis was hemorrhagic shock caused by blood
loss secondary to a pelvis fracture. An emergency xenotransfusion using blood from a domestic dog was performed
without acute transfusion reactions observed. This is the first report of successful xenotransfusion between a domestic
dog and an Andean fox presenting a procedure that could be applied in emergency situations.
All journal content is authorized under a Creative Commons (attribution BY-NC type) license. This license lets others remix, adapt, and create works derived of your study, but its commercial use is prohibited. The new works should mention your name in the credits and also cannot be used commercially. However, the derivative works need not be licensed under the same terms of this license.