Focus and Scope
- Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia (PAZ) covers primarily the areas of Zoology, publishing original contributions in systematics, paleontology, evolutionary biology, ecology, taxonomy, anatomy, behavior, functional morphology, molecular biology, ontogeny, faunistic studies, and biogeography.
- The journal also encourage submission of theoretical and empirical studies that explore principles and methods of systematics.
- All contributions must follow the rules and recommendations of the International Code on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN).
- Relevant specimens must be deposited in national or international public museums or collections.
- Tissue samples should be referred to their voucher specimens and all nucleotide sequence data (aligned as well as unaligned) should be submitted to GenBank or European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
- ZooBank is the Official Register of the International Code on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) for registration of new nomenclatural acts, published works, and authors.
- The editorial team of Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia is going to register articles that contain nomenclatural acts in ZooBank. Such articles will receive a Life Sciences Identifier (LSID) that is going to be included in the published version.
- The registration of new names in ZooBank is recommended (not a requirement) to authors.
Peer Review Process
- All submissions are subject to analysis by at least 2 (two) referees qualified to evaluate the manuscript and 1 (one) Editor.
- Once a manuscript is accepted providing changes suggested by the referees, the author is requested to return a revised version incorporating those changes (or a detailed explanation of why reviewer’s suggestions were not followed) within a maximum of 15 (fifteen) days upon receiving the communication by the Editor.
- Continously updated.
Open Access Policy
- This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
- Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia is a peer-reviewed journal for publication of original contributions in systematics, paleontology, evolutionary biology, ecology, taxonomy, anatomy, behavior, functional morphology, molecular biology, ontogeny, faunistic studies, and biogeography.
- Its abbreviated title is Avulsos Zool., which should be used in bibliographies, footnotes and bibliographical references and strips.
- The journal has adopted a continuous flow of publication (rolling pass) in a single annual volume from 2018 on.
- All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY.
- The online version of the journal has open and free access.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL)
- Biological Abstracts
- Directory of Open Access Journal (DOAJ)
- Scientific Electronic Library Online (SciELO)
- Zoological Records
- The online journal has open and free access.
- Published with the financial support of the Program of Support for Periodical Scientific Publications of USP (SIBi‑USP).
Sources of Support
- For more details of the manuscript preparation format, see CBE Style Manual, available at the electronic address of the Council of Science Editors.
- Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia is a publication of the Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo (MZUSP).
- Always refer to the Instructions to Authors updated electronic pages: www.revistas.usp.br/paz or www.mz.usp.br/publicacoes.