Bringing everyone on board: what role can medical students play in the COVID-19 pandemic?
The fast spread of the COVID-19 epidemic has imposed unprecedented challenges to contemporary society, impacting several aspects of human life globally. Strict social distancing protocols had to be implemented in affected countries to contribute to reduce viral dissemination, and consequently, limit acquisition of new infections. Health systems were compelled to put emergency plans in place to cope with the overburden of potentially severe cases needing hospitalization, with the ultimate aim to preserve as many lives as possible. Academic health systems worldwide were required to propose novel strategies to maximize healthcare outcomes while mitigating negative impact on medical education.[...]
2. Rasmussen S, Sperling P, Poulsen MS, Emmersen J, Andersen S. Medical students for health-care staff shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet. 2020 May 2;395(10234):e79-e80. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30923-5.
3. Wang JH, Tan S, Raubenheimer K. Rethinking the role of senior medical students in the COVID-19 response. Med J Aust. 2020 May 5. doi:10.5694/mja2.50601.
4. Miller DG, Pierson L, Doernberg S. The role of medical students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ann Intern Med. 2020 Apr 7:M20-1281. doi:10.7326/M20-1281.
5. Whelan A, Prescott J, Young G, et al. Guidance on medical students’ clinical participation: effective immediately. Association of American Medical Colleges, 17 March 2020 [cited 2020 June 5]. Available from: https://lcme.org/wp-content/uploads/filebase/March-17-2020-Guidance-on-Mediical-Students-Clinical-Participation.pdf.
6. Kalet AL, Jotterand F, Muntz M, Thapa B, Campbell B. Hearing the call of duty; what we must do to allow medical students to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. WMJ. 2020;119(1):6-7. Available from: https://wmjonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/119/1/6.pdf.
7. Cruess RL, Cruess SR, Boudreau D, Snell L, Steinert Y. Reframing medical education to support professional identity formation. Acad Med. 2014;89:1146-51. doi: 0000000000000427.