Retrospective study of locomotor disorders in ruminants attended in the School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of São Paulo from 2000 to 2012
Keywords:Retrospective Study, Claw disorders, Bovine, Sheep, Goat
AbstractThis study aimed to perform a retrospective study of ruminants attended at the Clinic for Cattle and Small Ruminants (CBPR) of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (FMVZ), University of São Paulo (USP) with locomotor diseases from 2000 to 2012. During this period 209 cases were treated. It was found that cases located in the distal limb and in the proximal region were 62.7% and 33.7%, respectively. In bovines, 121 (57.9%) cases were treated, with 86 (71.07%) cases presented in the distal limb and 35 (28.93%) cases in the proximal region. The most common disease was interdigital hyperplasia with 23 (26.74%) cases treated. Fractures were the most frequent disease related to the proximal region corresponding to 17 (48.6%) occurrences. In small ruminants, 88 animals (42.1%) were treated with 45 (51.1%) cases in the distal region and the other 43 (48.9%) in the proximal region. In these species, the foot-rot (60%) and fractures (77.4%) was the most common diseases found in the distal and the proximal region, respectively. The disorders of the locomotor system of ruminants were uncommon in the CBPR. While the affected animals with claw diseases have a good prognosis, disorders affecting the upper limb in cattle, mainly fracture, have a poor prognosis.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Gargano, R. G., Benesi, F. J., Birgel Junior, E. H., Libera, A. M. M. P. D., Gregory, L., Sucupira, M. C. A., Ortolani, E. L., Gomes, V., & Pogliani, F. C. (2013). Retrospective study of locomotor disorders in ruminants attended in the School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of São Paulo from 2000 to 2012. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research and Animal Science, 50(4), 286-293. https://doi.org/10.11606/issn.2318-3659.v50i4p286-293
The journal content is authorized under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license (summary of the license: https://