Call for papers - ABEI Journal 25.2 Special Issue – “Irish Theatre”
The Brazilian Journal of Irish Studies invites scholars and postgraduate students to contribute to a Special issue on Irish Theatre to be published in December 2023. The ABEI Journal is peer-reviewed and committed to establishing a dialogue between Brazil and Ireland. It is aimed at scholars, independent researchers, and postgraduate students in Irish studies. The ABEI Journal is indexed by Cambridge Scientific Abstracts (CSA), Maryland, USA and Modern Language Association (MLA), EBSCO, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), Diretório de Políticas Editoriais das revistas científicas brasileiras (Diadorim), Latindex and Google Scholar. It is published twice a year – a general issue and a special issue with guest editors – and co-edited with the support of the University of São Paulo and the ESP Programme ( Embassy of Ireland in Brazil).
We invite contributions to submit academic articles, reviews, interviews, original literary work (creative writing), and translations. The submissions can cover (but are not restricted to) the following topics:
- Theatre and migration;
- Performance studies;
- Irish women playwrights;
- Radio plays;
- Drama and translation;
- Interculturalism in theatre;
- Theatre and agency;
- Revisiting the tradition in Irish theatre;
- Staging history;
- Theatre and adaptation;
- Translations of Irish plays.
We also invite contributors to suggest that they would be keen to review the following books:
- Theatre and Archival Memory. Irish Drama and Marginalised Histories 1951-1977
Palgrave McMillan, 2021
- Plays by Women in Ireland (1926-33): Feminist Theatre of Freedom and Resistance
Lisa Fitzpatrick & Shonagh Hill
Methuen Drama, 2022
If there is more than one reviewer interested, then the editors decide which one is going to be included in the journal.
Submissions are welcome in all interdisciplinary fields of Irish Studies. Articles should not exceed 6,000 words and reviews should be limited to 1500 words. The text must be written using the Times New Roman font, size 12, space 1.5.
- The journal accepts manuscripts in English.
- Manuscripts should be submitted in Microsoft Word format (.doc, .docx). Reviews should be 2-3 pages long.
- An abstract in English of at least 150 words should be included, accompanied by at least 3 keywords.
- Information about the author's affiliation, institution, city, and country must also be supplied as a separate file, and not within the text.
- Illustrations, graphs, and tables, with their numbers and captions, must also be supplied as a separate file in print quality (include their source information whenever they have not been created by the author of the manuscript). Authors must have permission to use any element that they have taken from another source.
- Endnotes should be numbered consecutively and placed at the end of the manuscript.
- Quotes in a different language from the text should be followed by their translation as an endnote.
- The reference list should appear at the end of the manuscript, alphabetized by author’s last name in MLA style.
The deadline for submissions is 1st of July, 2023.
Text must be sent/uploaded on the journal online platform: https://www.revistas.usp.br/abei/about/submissions
For informal inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eamonn Jordan (University College Dublin - UCD/ Ireland)
Alessandra Rigonato (Federal University of the North of Tocantins - UFNT / Brazil)
Michelle Alvarenga (University of Brasília - UnB / Brazil)
For more information about the previous issues of the ABEI Journal, please visit https://www.revistas.usp.br/abei/issue/archive